Prior to 1947, the southern part of Liberty Township had to fight fires with a bucket brigade. They received help from the Dublin Fire Department IF they could guarantee a $50 charge for the run. In 1948, a bond issue for $20,000 was passed to cover the cost of a fire truck, equipment and a building for the Township’s first fire department. Funds from dances, euchre parties, spaghetti suppers and the like were raised to cover bills for gasoline, electricity, heating and telephone because no money had been allotted for maintenance! About 13 men, primarily from local Powell businesses, were the first volunteer firemen. The 1949 photo taken in front of the old Powell School reveals more volunteers.
In 1948, the Department was housed at 44 N. Liberty St. in an old garage which had been part of George Sharp's filling station. A new oil furnace, toilet, shower and two stalls for trucks were added. The building stands today next to the Powell Cemetery. The first ambulance was an old Buick hearse purchased from the DeVore Funeral Home in Sunbury.