The house is truly a home because of the furnishings in the parlors, dining room, kitchen and bedrooms. Period furniture and a wide range of items donated by family, friends, local antique owners, and interested community members offer a view of the Martins and Perrys and similar families from the late 19th century and first half of the 20th century.
The collection includes the wedding invitation and wedding dress of Mary Lowery Martin, a desk and armoire used at the Independent Order of Odd Fellows Lodge, a church pew from the Powell Methodist Church, caned chairs from the Delaware Chair Company, a newspaper announcing Abraham Lincoln's assassination, a clock that hung in the old Hyatts School, and more.
The library is filled with photographs of graduating classes from the old Powell School, the horse-drawn school wagon, the old post office, and the train depot.
The display room includes toys, uniforms, early home furnishings and special exhibits in a large oak display case from a former hardware store in town.
The Powell Cemetery on North Liberty St. had its first burial in 1834 when Joseph Gardner died. Burial sites are no longer available. The cemetery is maintained by the City of Powell Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in doing research on family names to add to the database. Information about the burials in the cemetery is available on this this website. . Additional information about the Powell Cemetery and other pioneer cemeteries in the township is also available.
The Society owns a 1949 Chevrolet Fire Truck that was the first firetruck purchased by the Volunteer Fire Department in Liberty Township shortly after its formation. The truck is in the process of being restored. A Society board member has focused on obtaining this truck and organizing its restoration.