Liberty Township School Districts were formed in 1826. The pictured school is the 1882 two storied brick school built as District #3 Powell School, replacing the original one room school at 77 S. Liberty St. The building is still standing and is used now as office rental space. The building housed all eight grades under one roof with two grades sharing each classroom. Grades 1 to 4 were on the first floor, grades 5 to 8 on the second. Photo postcards of the school were sent out to announce the annual Powell School Reunions. Frank Bayles, who became Powell’s first mayor in 1947, was listed as in charge of the August 7, 1909 reunion.