HISTORICAL SOCIETY

Exhibits


At the Martin-Perry House:
The house is truly a home because of the furnishings in the parlors, dining room, kitchen and bedrooms. Period furniture and a wide range of items donated by family, friends, local antique owners, and interested community members offer a view of the Martins and Perrys and similar families from the late 19th century and first half of the 20th century.

The collection includes the wedding invitation and wedding dress of Mary Lowery Martin, a desk and armoire used at the Independent Order of Odd Fellows Lodge, a church pew from the Powell Methodist Church, caned chairs from the Delaware Chair Company, a newspaper announcing Abraham Lincoln's assassination, a clock that hung in the old Hyatts School, and more.

The library is filled with photographs of graduating classes from the old Powell School, the horse-drawn school wagon, the old post office, and the train depot.

The display room includes toys, uniforms, early home furnishings and special exhibits in a large oak display case from a former hardware store in town.

In Powell:
The Powell Cemetery on North Liberty St. had its first burial in 1834 when Joseph Gardner died. Grave sites are no longer available. The cemetery is maintained by the City of Powell but has been adopted by a Historical Society board member who has worked to improve the physical appearance and is in the process of creating a website related to the cemetery. Contact us if you are interested in doing research on family names to add to the database.

Around the Area:
A 1949 Chevrolet Fire Truck, owned by the first Volunteer Fire Department in Liberty Township, is in the process of being restored. A Society board member has focused on obtaining this truck and organizing its restoration.


Hazel Martin, the eldest daughter of the first family to inhabit the Martin-Perry House in the 1890s.
View the Photo Gallery